Saturday, March 6, 2010

Communication of the Body

There are three types of way your body has communication. What comes out of our mouths. The way we carry our body - or what many call body language. The way our skeletal system communicates.

With my work, I have the privilege to communicate with a person's skeletal system. I have learned an am practicing the Anat Baniel Method but the sensitivity that I have through my hands increases with every lesson. Being able to touch a person's ankle and sense different points through their body that needs more information for their brain to connect the movement. I think about this a lot and I'm trying to put it into words.

I can look at a person and see what they would see in the mirror. I can look at a person and see their muscles and the way they attach to the bones. I can look at a person and see their skeletal system moving a breathing in space. The curiosity to see how my input can change their nervous system and increase the dynamics.

If a person has had an insult to their system. It could be that they missed the bottom stair and threw their back out - to others it takes a car accident or years of abuse. They come into my clinic to learn how they can get back to where they were. "I could play golf six months ago and I miss it."

With Autism and childhood delays, a child doesn't have a judgement. That's the beauty of working with them. They use the input that they are receiving at a lesson and use it immediately. Adding to the complexity of information and variation that their brains has to use at their leisure. For example, a child with autism hasn't developed a refined, organized way of how they relate in space. This is obvious with rocking or stimming. Less obvious with lack of awareness with toys or people.

Letting a child play with the input to the base of the spine in relation to the pelvis. The brain is the ultimate gyro. If we develop the brain mapping you could suspend a human from a rope and they could move around upright as well as upside down and sideways. The awe that we have watching Cirque performers float and defy gravity. The input that is needed to have that same affect on a young child before there system continues to develop without the awareness to space.

When I sit here and type, if I were to be very conscious - I type through the clutter in front and around me. I know where the lamp is, the shelves, hockey table, printer, legos, bakugan, etc. I don't have to be in the now with all of this information. In fact, if I were, I would become over-whelmed very easily. If my son were to come into the room and ask for one of these objects, then I could adjust my body and get the item for him.

With Autism, the brain is not thinking in that mode. Why? For many, a child doesn't have a clear enough idea of who they are. That this is their hand holding the train. That their elbows relation to the shoulder assists the train to move. It's why their language fails them. Until they know that it is their elbow how does their brain go to "Mine!" as a healthy two year old lets you know.

Having a sensitive touch that helps let their brain know that this is them and watching language appear, walking change, being silly letting laughter in. It's nice to watch. Always with the curiosity of looking for ways to improve and stimulate the language of their skeletal system. When that increases - the other two system upgrade immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment